[DeTomaso] Compression ratio

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sat Mar 16 18:56:07 EDT 2013

Practically speaking, no. Disassembly and actual volume measurement is the
only way to be anywhere near accurate.

But compression ratio is only a number maybe good for bragging rights; the
engine doesn't know or care, so why worry? If it runs and doesn't rattle on
the crap-gas we're being sold today, you're lucky. If you think you left
some power on the table when you rebuilt last time, after your Income tax
refund arrives you can think of a top-end rebuild and check it the right way
then.
While you're waiting, make yourself a transparent combustion-chamber cap
and buy a 100-cc plastic burette. The average closed chamber Cleveland (iron
or alunimum) will need at least 64-68cc so buying a 50-cc burette means
you'll need to refill once during the check, introducing more errors. And a
plastic burette will live awhile in the average car owner's garage, unlike
fragile glass ones! I've busted at least 3 glass ones just moving things around my
1000-sq. ft shop.
Good luck- J Deryke