[DeTomaso] Compression ratio

Thomas Tornblom thomas at hax.se
Sat Mar 16 11:14:32 EDT 2013

2013-03-16 16:03, Jeff Detrich skrev:
> Is there a way to determine compression ratio based on compression or
> something else. I didn't measure it when the engine was apart and would
> like to determined it now. Any suggestions?

A compression test really doesn't say anything about the compression ratio.

One thing that *maybe* could work would be to remove one (or all really)
plugs, place one piston at TDC, #7 or #8 would probably be easiest on a
Pantera. Then carefully fill the combustion chamber with engine oil and
measure the amount, excluding the amount in any hose. Then lower the
piston to BDC and measure the amount needed to once again fill it up.

The CR would be the total of step 1 and 2 divided by the amount in step 1.

I guess there might be trapped air above the plug hole in step 1, so it
is probably not very accurate.

Thomas