[DeTomaso] Oil dipsticks that can actually be checked!

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri Mar 15 14:26:09 EDT 2013

In a message dated 3/14/13 16 30 4, rob at dumoulins.net writes:

> That 5" is measured from where the tube enters the block to the end of the
> dipstick. You guys said original was off,  but that far?  Does anybody
> have the right answer to the following question:
>  How long should the dipstick extend into the block past where the fill
> tube leaves the block? If I knew that answer I could tell if the vendor's
> contraption is right.
>

>>>Well, the distance that the tube enters the block is totally immaterial.
  It would have no bearing on the location of the dipstick.   On my
original it happens to be 9 5/8 inches, but again, it doesn't really matter.   It
could be substantially shorter than that and still work just fine.   I would
*prefer* that the dipstick is supported along its full length, to keep it
from perhaps flexing and whipping around inside the engine, but if the tube
was a bit shorter, it wouldn't affect the reading.

Now, if the tube is shorter on the other end (from the block to the
handle), that dramatically changes the reading.