[DeTomaso] New Motor Initial Startup

sean mundy seanmundy at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 15 13:44:46 EDT 2013

I've finally got my new 408C started and running. WHOOHOO!
Initially it would only sputter and pop for about 5 seconds.
After a couple weekends playing around with everything I hit the magical combination and it
actually idles now with timing set around 12 at 1000rpm.
I only let it run about 2-3 minutes while I was getting the timing set.
Looking thru the valve cover holes I noticed that there wasn't as much oil
splashing around I was expecting to see.
My oil pressure was really good and way better than my old engine.
I could see a little puddle of oil on top of the rockers but not much if any sloshing oil.
I was really nervous that there wasn't enough oil so I shut off the engine right away.
Looked down in the heads with a flashlight and saw there really wasn't much oil collected below the valve springs.
There was some oil accumulated at the oil drain back hole at the end of the heads.
I read that sometimes the assembly lube could plug up the works but it should melt and thin out as the engine heats up.
There is 30w oil in the pan and the at the correct level.  Garage temp at around 55degrees.
I didn't want to speed up the engine rpms to see how much more oil would be shooting out of the tops of the rockers.
How much oil should really be shooting around at the rockers when the engine is idling?
I guess its hard to describe without a visual but it would be nice to hear what you all think.

Thanks, Sean