[DeTomaso] What Do You Tell People??

David in Durango adin at frontier.net
Thu Mar 14 16:40:24 EDT 2013

It always seemed to be a giant pain in the d!ck the way folks would "bother" me by asking questions about the car.  And having to answer the same questions over and over and over again?  Another call to the urologist.

One day in southern Utah I came upon some public employee in the typical public employee pose - chin resting on the shovel handle.  He was standing next to a truck full of hot asphalt in the heat of the day trying to catch his breath.  From about 100 yards out, he could probably hear me coming,  I saw this poor, sweaty, overheated guy light up the biggest smile you ever saw!

Another story: the local Conoco has an employee - she is short, not real skinny, blemished face, crosseyed and horn rimmed glasses . . . but she loves that old yellow Pantera!  I was accidently very nice to her the first time she saw it, and now she always asks about the yellow car with a big smile on her face.

Moral: Few of these folks know anything about cars, much less Panteras.  But your loud and beautiful car makes the day for them - be polite to them.  Otherwise all Pantera owners will be described as a feminine hygiene product and the package it came in.

Wave to them, give them a big smile and maybe some schtick about Uncle Al or how the Ferrari factory, Lamborghini and Detomaso are all within spitting distance of each other - you may have a friend for life!

By the way, I ALWAYS tell the knuckle dragger kids in the chevy 4x4 just one thing:  "Its a Ford." hahahahaha

happy motoring . . . .