[DeTomaso] What Do You Tell People??

Garth Rodericks garth_rodericks at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 14 12:17:24 EDT 2013

Truer words were never spoken!

--- Original Message ---
________________________________

We were at a gas station back in the crisp fall starting a fired up Sunday morning haul butt run through the
country side. We tried to be nonchalant and relaxed about getting some gas in the Espada. I mix station extra
with my home drum 110VP leaded. Well in this Cajun area we looked like an alien invasion and of course we did
not have a bateau hooked up to the car.  So hard not to smile and be humble when all human kind come up in awe
and ask some of the most unique and coo coo questions and they also feel so compelled to tell some of their
wildest car stories, an instant bonding moment has occurred. I find myself in a place as a therapist and teacher
with a captive audience. Such a cool place to be, pride and envy wind up not being the force but the creation of
a automotive life form that glues all men and women together about their love of cool cars and fine
memories/dreams are. Older black women tend to be the most outspoken and funny while the young white males are
just to cool to be excited, dwebs.  Some ask you to open the hood, you do then they just stop talking and become
overwhelmed and then just stare and dream. Then you fire it up and they just freeze and stare again, just the
reason to take charge of the open road and give them a great 7,500 rpm Italian opera in the early morning. You
know you gave them a buzz for a week or so, no telling what stories they told their buddies.

I am just returning the favor of what I watched and heard in Italy back in 71 and 75 when these fine cars roamed
the area and got me to go the path of automotive zen.

I thank those that gave me these huge impressions.

Jeff Cobb