[DeTomaso] What Do You Tell People??

Jeff Detrich jjdetrich at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 22:47:44 EDT 2013

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 8:09 PM, <MikeLDrew at aol.com> wrote:

> > What do you respond with?

>   If they want to know more, I'll then speak with them for as long as they
> would like, but I won't bludgeon them with information if they are only
> casually curious.
>
> But I won't allow their misconceptions to go unchallenged either....
>
> Mike

And then be prepared with:

Race bred chassis designed by Gian Paolo *Dallara*. Dallara designed the
Muira, some Maseratis, and went on to design F1 cars and currently builds
the Indy Car chassis.
        **Famous people involved*

14 factory produced Gr4 cars *raced successfully at LeMans* and are
currently enjoying a comeback at events like Classic LeMans.
        **Race history Bona Fides*

Uses the ZF transaxle which was *also used by* the LeMans winning Ford
GT40s, the Bora, and the BMW M1.
        **Credentials*

7260 cars produced by DeTomaso Automobili from 1971 to 1993 of which 5400
were imported by Ford to the USA from 71 to 74.
         **Good cars are available at reasonable prices*

The Pantera was one of the first production cars to use a sophisticated *
mid-engine,* *monocoque chassis* with a *fully independent suspension*,
well before Ferrari.
         **Credentials*
 There are *active owners clubs* in the USA, all over Europe, and in other
parts of the world.
         **Fun to own*

Properly updated and maintained cars are* very reliable*. Parts are *readily
available* and *reasonably priced* and the car is relatively *easy to
maintain*, especially compared to other exotics.
         **Easy to own *

Tom Tjaarda, designer of the Pantera, also worked at Ghia and Pininfarina,
where he did work *for Ferrari* and other car companies.
         **Credentials*

Panteras are *good club racers* and do surprisingly well against much newer
cars at open road races like the Silver State Challenge and the Big Bend
Open Road Races.
*          *For those who have a sporting interest*

The cabin has luxurious creature comforts, including *air conditioning*, *power
windows* and *brakes*, and a *large trunk*.
          **Easy to live with*

Pantera restorations are mostly of the "resto-mod" variety. A *large
community of vendors* produce original and upgraded parts that make the
cars competitive drivers today.
          **Don't have to be worried that something will break*

The Cleveland Engine is easily massaged to 400 horsepower making the 3200
pound car *a great performer*, especially compared to other cars of the era.
          **Compare that to your Ferrari or Muscle Car of the day*
**
**
*Jeff*
*6559*