[DeTomaso] LPC - Roadside smog dynamometer

Guido deTomaso guido_detomaso at prodigy.net
Wed Mar 13 05:02:00 EDT 2013

Tuesday I spotted a pickup on a roadside dyno, on a four lane surface street
near a freeway exit.  Since the men with guns making it happen were CHP, I'm
guessing they were plucking hapless saps off the freeway and stealing first
their time and possibly second their vehicles.

Anyone have the skinny this, especially:

What's the legal foundation for forcing participation?  Can a driver refuse,
both to participate or if not, refuse to allow the "officers" inside the car /
to operate the car?

Can they force a pre '76 ( not in the current smog check ) off the road?

'Course they don't respond to home burglaries, vandalism, graffiti anymore.

GD