[DeTomaso] Dumb Techno Question: Charcoal Cannister ?

David in Durango adin at frontier.net
Fri Mar 8 16:03:27 EST 2013

It seems that if one doesn't know for sure, one should check???? (Thanks Gentleman Chuck for the question . . . .)

"I ran for years with no vent, but I had a Permacap from Hall.  The
permacap has a spring loaded flapper.  You shove the gas nozzle on the
flapper to put gas in the tank.  When you remove the nozzle, it springs
shut.  So, as gas empties, the flapper allows air to enter the tank, and
there's no suction in the tank.  When it gets hot, I'm sure it pressurizes
the tank somewhat, but it never seemed to be a big deal." (Thanks Will!)

My car has this Permacap gizmo . . .  most of the stuff on my car was sourced from Hall.

"The rollover vent valve I used was recommended to me by a fellow Pantera
racer.  I bought it from Pegasus Auto Racing:

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=899

In the photo below, it's installed in a length of fuel line from the
vent valve on top the tank, routed down beside the tank between the tank
and the fender, and then back up so the valve itself is significantly
above the top of the tank and secured to the inner fender with an Adell
(sp) clamp.  In the case of my car, an L model, the engine trim piece on
the drivers side hides this very well under the bump for clearance of
the tank filler tube.

http://www.teampanteraracing.com/index.php?option=com_g2bridge&view=gallery&Itemid=57&g2_itemId=5496

I've had no fuel starvation problems, or spillage issues.
Asa"  (thank you)

Never had a problem either, but ending up a bbq marshmellow is just below waking up without a Panter - on my list!

"Here's the rollover valve/vent from Hall that I installed on my gas tank in place of the original vent fitting.
http://hallpantera.com/cgi-bin/p/awtp-product.cgi?d=hallpantera-inc&item=22057 "  Thanks Garth!

Believe this is what is on my car (can't tell from the crappo photograph) with a loop of fuel line.

Question of the day:  Can I check that check valve with a quick suck (that's what she said)  or will I get a mouthful (another that's what she said)

Thanks!

David in Durango