[DeTomaso] Installing Gasket s

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri Mar 8 15:00:39 EST 2013

In a message dated 3/8/13 10:43:45 AM, thedrol at pobox.com writes:

> So what is the consensus on coating gaskets, like water pump & oil pump
> gaskets, before installing them?
> I've used Permatex High tack spray-a-gasket sealant in the past.

Done in moderation, that works fine. Done to excess, the squeeze-out breaks
off and gets into places it shouldn't be and plugs passages. I've used
Permaex #2 since the '50s, as well as plain-vanilla contact cement when I want
to peel a gasket off & maybe re-use it. I don't coat head gaskets though- my
favorite Fel-Pro composite head gaskets are teflon coated as received and
teflon doesn't bond to much of anything.. Good luck- J Deryke