[DeTomaso] Dumb Techno Question: Charcoal Cannister ?

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu Mar 7 18:39:11 EST 2013

In a message dated 3/7/13 10 34 28, cengles at cox.net writes:

> Hmm.  So I can pull the charcoal canister.  That then
> leads to the question of using the Pantera gas tank without any venting.
> I must admit that I seem to have done that with the other Pantera for
> about twenty plus years with no known detrimental effects.   So, is
> there any problem with a non vented Pantera gas tank?
>

>>>Well, you have to have SOME venting.   You can disconnect the line from
the cannister, shorten it, and route it to the ground, but you're still
venting.   If you actually plug the opening on the tank, you will create a
vacuum and the tank could literally implode if the gas cap seals properly, as the
fuel is sucked out of it by the fuel pump.

Don't vent directly to the air cleaner.   One backfire, and it's all over!

My vent hose goes to the ground, and unfortunately allows me to overfill
the tank and dump a gallon or more onto the ground.   Must address that
someday....