[DeTomaso] California 70's plates

David Fisher fisher95020 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 21:55:15 EST 2013

Apologies to the non-californians on the list.....

Some of you CA locals may know that the DMV is allowing folks to order
personalized plates in either 50, 60, or 70's plate styles  (although using
current 7 digit nomenclature).

Thus, you can now get a personalized plate in the 70's blue and yellow
style.

Well, I get the DMV credit for being clever.   They have to get 7500
applications by Jan 2015 or they don't make any of them.

Of course this means that anyone like me who has applied for one
automatically becomes a sales rep for them as I don't get my plates unless
I convince another 5000 people to sign up.

Here's a link below showing the current levels of applications.

  The 60's era plates is up to 2000 applications, but the 70's era is just
shy of 400.  The sites is not clear on whether each category needs 7500
application, or all 3 categories combined (I am hoping its the latter). but
either way we have a long ways to go to make it happen.

Note, that any combo of letters or numbers is unique for the all years of
plates, so you have to come up with something that no-one in CA currently
has.   There is a way to check  ( cant claim it's foolproof, but the
DMVshowed me it).  If you go through the application as though you are
making
a current year (2013) vanity plate it will tell you online whether you can
get the plate you want.   I found 9 of 10 were taken, so you have to be
somewhat inventive ( I enlisted my friends), but at least with the online
verification you don't waste 3 weeks sending in a check and then having
them send it back saying you cant get the one you want.

P.S.  I wouldn't broadcast what plate you are after as someone can go and
get it today on a 2013 plate and knock you off getting it after 2015.  They
will have to pay twice and take the risk that the legacy plates may never
happen, but they can still do it (so can you).

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/legacyplates/index.htm

David