[DeTomaso] Roller Cam

Justin Greisberg justingreisberg at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 5 20:35:10 EST 2013

I went with a comp cams hydraulic roller cam - the profile was custom designed by Dave Storlein at porting dynamcs based on his CHI head experience (which I am using).  I have the specs somewhere.  I also went with crane roller lifters, with link bars.  No fitting issues, although I had to use special adjustable pushrod measuring tool to get the correct length pushrods, but not a big deal once you understand what to do.  4 or 5 years later, never had a valvetrain problem, although I have limited experience running over 5000 rpm.  I dont think I have any distributor gear problems, but I probably only have 1000 miles on the whole thing....    I also used Harlan sharp roller rockers.  I will admit that it is a pain trying to get all the different brand aftermarket pieces to work well together.  you'd be surprised how many fitment issues come up.  like what size rocker studs to get?  they come in different length.  which valve covers will fit?  pushrod length?  distributor (need one whose cap is not too big)?  How about head gaskets (dont use those MLS unless your engine builder has really smoothed the mating surfaces more than usual).  which air cleaner will clear the decklid.... I made all these mistakes and then some.  good thing summit racing has a liberal return policy.
way easier to just rebuild stock, but less fun.  but also a lot less expensive...  Justin