[DeTomaso] Oil dipsticks that can actually be checked!

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Tue Mar 5 00:40:54 EST 2013

And if you're doing it with a stock oil pan you can perform the same
method with fewer quarts of oil.  We did.

Locally a Pantera owner had replaced his dipstick tube with a new shiny
one from a vendor.  He didn't however replace the actual dipstick, it
was still stock.  He did this not long after having purchased the car if
I recall.

He filled the crankcase until it read full on the stick.  He then ran it
for a while, checked it again and added between a half quart and a quart.

 From then on, it smoked like a locomotive.  He was certain he'd blown a
head gasket.  It was using oil all the time and fogging the
neighborhood.  He began letting it known he was in the market to sell as
he didn't want to tackle a new engine.

I suggested he drain the oil, completely.  Then I went over to
supervise.  He put five quarts in and it didn't show on the stick.  We
put the car in the air and I verified it had a stock Ford 351C pan.  I
told him to start it.  He was extremely nervous but I told him to watch
the oil pressure, if it didn't come up immediately, shut it down.

It came right up.

I had him add another quart.  I then had him borrow a small tubing
cutter and instructed him to cut about an inch and a half from the end
of the tube facing him at the back of the engine.  Oh, and just for good
measure, I had taken a measurement of -mine- from where it entered the
block to the end where the stick went in.  I measured his and it was
suitably too long.  We later found out the vendor had instructions to
cut the tube to the proper length.  The owner had never seen the
instructions and simply installed it.

So he finished it up and drove it happily for some time after that
before actually selling it.  He claimed it had more power, never smoked
again and was a blast to drive.  No wonder, he'd been putting between
eight and 10 quarts in just to see it on the stick.  Imagine the crank
trying to move all that extra oil out of the way.

Asa

Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired
&  Shelley Marie
Spokane, WA