[DeTomaso] Front Valance Replacement

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Mar 4 22:24:29 EST 2013

In a message dated 3/3/13 12 48 20, panteradon at gmail.com writes:

> I am in need of the front valance and inner support for my car.  Is the
> best place to get them Woods Automotive on Ebay?
>
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/De-Tomaso-Detomaso-Pantera-parts-
> Front-cross-member-/370518858510?pt=Vintage_Car_
> Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5644a51b0e&vxp=mtr
>
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/DE-TOMASO-PANTERA-parts-New-
> front-valance-/370518857330?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=
> item5644a51672&vxp=mtr
>

>>>I would say yes.

When you order the valance, ask him to quote you on the radiator support as
well.   He doesn't mass-market them the way he does his valance (he has
sold something approaching 200 valances now), but I was just speaking with a
fellow last week who also bought the radiator support at the same time, and he
said they were both excellent.   Plus they would ship together for no
additional fee.

I just spoke with Johnny via AOL instant message--he says if you contact
him and buy them direct instead of via E-bay, he'll knock $30 off the combined
cost of the two items.

JohnnyRWoods at aol.com is how to reach him.

Also, the replacement radiator supports offered by the various vendors are
made incorrectly.   The tabs that support the radiator are mounted flat,
parallel to the ground, while the radiator tilts forward at an appreciable
angle.   This difference is made up by torturing the bushings that support the
radiator.   (Rubber bushings should be used here to isolate the radiator from
road shocks; some vendors sell much harder polyurethane bushings, which
doesn't seem like a good idea).

Johnny's radiator support has the tabs welded at an angle that matches the
underside of the radiator, a much better idea, and that will also afford a
tiny bit of extra hood clearance.   (Some cars have the top of the radiator
rubbing the underside of the hood, if the vendor-supplied radiator support is
used without modification).

He said he doesn't make the rear piece that goes behind the radiator
support, and that rusts out also sometimes.   Someday he'll get around to it.

You should be able to reuse your wire mesh, even if it's mangled.   Just
straighten it out prior to reinstalling it in the new valance.