[DeTomaso] Roller Cam

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 12:33:49 EST 2013

> I went with an off the shelf Comp hydraulic roller cam and the Crane hydraulic roller lifters.

Comps lifters, both the OEM style and the link bar retrofit lifters,
have the oil band in the same
position as 5.0L hydraulic roller lifter.  This won't work with a
standard base circle cam in many
351C blocks as it will expose the oil band at maximum lift.  To
counter this, Comp uses a reduced
base circle cam.  On some 351C blocks, this can cause clearance issues
when the cam is on the base
circle as the lifter sits lower in lifter bore.  A local shop that's a
Comp dealer made a fixture
they use to clearance 351C blocks to use Comp lifters and cam.
Another prefers to use he Morel
street performance lifters (as sold by Lunati):

 http://www.bacomatic.org/gallery2/v/hidden/dan/dan-cars/album04/dyno_project/Lunati_vs_Crane_Hydraulic_Roller_lifters_03.JPG.html

as they are less likely to have the clearance problem.  Note the
smaller base circle places a limit
on the lobes that can be used.  If you use the more aggressive
standard Ford base circle lobes, they
will be noisy when ground on a reduced base circle.  Comp also uses an
austempered ductile iron core
which may not wear quite as well as steel but is supposed to be
compatible with standard cast iron
gears.  However, some engine builders have reported problems with cast
iron gears on the the Comp
SADI cores and prefer to use either the Crane/FRPP steel distributor
gear or one of the gears designed
specifically for SADI cores (available from MSD, Mallory, Lunati etc.).

Dan Jones