[DeTomaso] Roller Cam

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun Mar 3 15:28:51 EST 2013

You didn't mention what your preference is, but there are both
hydraulic-roller and solid-roller cams available. In a Pantera, a hydraulic-roller makes
more sense due to the difficulty in adjusting valves and the normally short
life of solid roller setups on the street. Most cam grinders will advise
you on the expected life of their products, and some are shockingly short.

>From what's been published (and there's a LOT!) on the subject, some stock
351C blocks have a deep oversized chamfer machined on top of all the lifter
bosses. That chamfer often reaches the oil lubrication band that wraps
around nearly all lifters whether roller or flat tappet, if cam lift is high
enough. It produces a massive oil leak from each lifter on each rise to the top
of each cam lobe. To combat this, a few cam grinders scale everything on
their cams down to about 90% so their cams give the same lift as a 'normal' cam
but are physically smaller in overall dia. This works, at the expense of
weakening the cam itself, and can cost more. Others use special lifters with
low oil bands.

Other problems stem from the way many roller lifters are paired together to
prevent them from moving from their straight-up orientation; some of the
tie-bars that link them will run into lifter boss tops on the closed side,
forcing the engine builder to notch each boss top while avoiding going too far
into the boss and causing an oil leak like with excess chamfer. Finally,
almost all roller cams are made to increase power via much higher than stock
rpms, so the entire lower end of such a block needs to be built with this in
mind. If you are only doing it for increased efficiency like the factories
have done recently (lower friction, fuel mileage), you'll need to find a cam
grinder that really understands your goal. Most will try selling a
600-bhp/7500rpm cam whether thats what you want or not.

There are ways to avoid all these challenges but they cost plenty at
today's labor rates unless you have an exceptionally well equipped home shop and
are experienced in the art. I'd start by calling as many name brand cam
grinder Tech Lines as I could find. There will be those that say it's easy, but
they won't be there to help you pay for and sweep up the mess when things go
south on the road.   Good luck- J Deryke (I'm in the same boat with my
Fontana build, by the way)