[DeTomaso] GT5-S Conversion

Corey Price coreyjprice at gmail.com
Sun Mar 3 12:38:43 EST 2013

If I were to consider the conversion of my narrow body car to the wide-body GT5-S, would the expense raise the value of the car by a similar amount?  I have a few rough estimates from some vendors.

I've been talking to Dennis Q. about it, and he agrees that my car would be a great candidate and not as expensive to do as compared to others.  My car is a '71, in primer, has original campy wheels and no tires, rebuilt suspension, most parts, etc.  Wheels can be purchased for whatever I do, so no extra cost there.  I have a few significant front end bodywork issues, but not rust-related.  Most of the issues are from previous repair attempts.  The car is rust-free as far as I can tell.  The conversion would remedy the current issues that I will have to fix anyway.  However, the rear quarters are in perfect shape so it would involve cutting some good sheet metal.  A friend of mine who converted his car to a flared car said he thought about it for 5 seconds and and then got out the saw.  Another friend is converting his '72 to a GTS said he chose his car given that he couldn't stomach cutting up a car with a good body.

Thoughts?

Corey Price