[DeTomaso] FW:  Oil dipsticks that can actually be checked!

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sat Mar 2 17:51:23 EST 2013

In a message dated 3/2/13 1:41:50 PM, rob at dumoulins.net writes:

> Guys,
> Where do I get a dipstick that routes to the back of the engine?  I'm
> tired of it being a major effort to find the fill hole to put it back in.
> Michael Shortt has exactly what I want, but didn't know where it was
> sourced from.

Rob, this is not a simple mod.- you can't just drill a hole in the back of
the block & stick a piece of metal in it. Because the 351-C has a std. front
sump oil pan, the oil dipstick must go into a portion of the pan that's
deepest to give you a correct reading. Don't know of a commercial assembly, but
I built a side-stick arrangement last Fall, using an Aviaid 10-qt pan. This
is easier than using a stock pan because the Aviaid sump depth is the same
from front to a bit past the middle of the block.
It required a hole in the pan's side at a certain point for a contoured
steel guide tube to keep the dipstick from tangling with the crank & rods.
There was also a small hole needed through the pan's internal windage tray and
right side scraper. The new guide tube is brazed into the steel pan; the
dipstick protrudes from the engine's side up between the #3 & #4 header tubes.
Obviously, it also needed a new length dipstick. I shortened one from a 7.3
Ford Powerstroke Diesel.

It's possible to extend my mid-block side-dipstick and guide tube
arrangement up to the right gill where I currently have a circular access door for
radiator cap water access, but I haven't done this. If successful, it would
look similar to the current Porsche Boxter setup, accessible for water & oil
level checks without opening the deck lid at all.

Or you could rotate the stock dipstick 90 degrees with a whole new
guide-tube and access it thru a glass-less right rear quarter window opening. Only
problem I see is the initial threading of a guide tube past the alternator &
belts, and punching a hole thru the right engine side cover. Early 351-W's
installed in vans had a dipstick much longer than the stock Pantera, and can
be shortened to fit about any arrangement you can think of. Good luck- J
Deryke