[DeTomaso] Antenna upgrade options (NPC)

The DeTomaso Registry Guy detomasoregistry at gmail.com
Sat Mar 2 16:41:36 EST 2013

(NPC)

Most antenna designs are a compromise between optimal for AM, and optimal
for FM (and/or other bands).

AM = Amplitude Modulated = works best with a vertical antenna around 32
inches in length. (I no longer remember exact optimal lengths, but antenna
length relates to the actual size of a portion of the wave-length.)

As to length, most modern antennas now are shorter, and
adjust for length with technology (or a simple coil).

FM = Frequency Modulated and works best horizontal.  (38-ish inches ???)

In my tool box I have a "rare" tape measure... it measures length in optimal
frequency.  As a joke I sometimes hand it to someone expecting the typical
measuring tape - good for a laugh!

So the windshield-embedded 45 degree angle antenna is a compromise.

SAT radio is totally different, as is the CB (Citizen's Band).

My knowledge is from 1970's and 1980's technology - YMMV.
(Ultra-low frequency submarine comm. to RADAR imagery to modern mobile
phone, and military systems.)

For my home system I have a combination of "ham"/CB/AM/FM/TV etc...
antennas, mostly hidden in the attic.  But my car radio is a 351C.

You can even install a simple signal boosting device to pull in weak signals
if you are out in the "boonies".  I've done this for both base, and mobile
systems.

Chuck

I'm going to remove the stock power antenna and fill in the hole. I am
thinking of one like this:

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq127/Chameleon_Antenna/WP_000114.jpg

Seriously, though, either a hidden or shark fin one like:

http://www.beatsonicusa.com/shark-fin-antennas/beat-sonic-fda7-functional-sh
ark-fin-radio-antenna.html

An interior one like:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DUAL-AMPLIFIED-Hidden-AM-FM-Antenna-Dune-Buggy-NEW-/
400423570442?pt=US_Radio_Antennas&hash=item5d3b1acc0a

Or a hidden one that just runs under the trim and you can't see.

Questions are:
Does anybody have pics of a shark fin on a pantera in the front or rear
center of the roof?
Opinions on reception of hidden vs. shark fin vs. an interior windshield
one?
On the hidden option, can it just be run in the dash or does it make a huge
difference running it under the headliner?

Thanks,

Rob DuMoulin
904.476.8744
rob at dumoulins.net