[DeTomaso] GR4 lenses

Larry Finch fresnofinches at aol.com
Thu Jun 27 03:42:37 EDT 2013

All,

The initial question askedabout converting stock light housings to accept GRP4 lenses. I'll first clarifythat, and then move on to some other points that have been mentioned.

While thisconversion has been done, the results are far from practical, and possiblydangerous as it positions the brake and turn signal bulbs in far less thanideal locations.  I've added photosof one such conversion to my GRP4 POCA photo album, on page two of this album:

As has been noted by others,the current made in Italy reproductions (By a company that goes by P/V) are notmanufactured in the same manner as the originals. As far as I know, that is theonly firm making reproductions. All the originals (stock red Ford lenses, the eurolenses and all the GRP4 lenses, for both Carello and Altissimo) actually have red or amberplastic castings somehow incorporated into the otherwise clear plastic casting;not the sprayed-on tint of the P/V reproductions.

The chrome trim ring on the reproductions is not nearly as good a quality asthe originals. The repro versions mimic Carello, withthe different back up lens treatment, but are far less crisp in the details ofthe casting.

An easy way totell OEM Carello from repro Carello is to look for “Carello” embossed on theglued-on red reflector. The repro version reads “Superreflex”.

By the way, there is also a(very rare) original Carello all red version of the GRP4 lenses. They, like theall red stock Ford lenses, were made for the US market, where at the time amberlighting was not allowed at the rear of vehicles.

The clear and smoked lenses Julian mentioned were sourced by me for ChrisAshton of Auger Resources. He offered them with LED illumination sourced fromJon Haas.  I do not know if any ofthose lenses are still available from him. I was able to obtain 10 pairs ofclear lenses through a contact in the UK, who stocked the Italian reproductionlenses. He dealt directly with the Italian manufacturer, and managed to get myorder for clear lenses filled, but that has been several years ago and I do notknow if that would be possible again today.

 http://www.augerresources.com       http://www.pantera-electronics.com

Within the lastyear I had the opportunity to visit Hall Pantera and view their GRP4 taillightson display. Their version was basically a flat piece of stainless steel withtwo dividers and three light bulb sockets. It utilized the Italian reproductionlenses. Whether they, or any of the vendors, do in fact have original lenses, Idon't know. However I do know that I have at least two vendors on my satisfiedGRP4 customer list. ;-)

Interestingly, in aconversation with Steve Wilkinson about the lenses, he insisted the originallenses had spray tint colors. I tried convincing him otherwise, but to noavail; perhaps he has been dealing with the reproduction Italianversions?

I spend hours searching forthe GRP4 lights, and have received them, in conditions ranging from NOS to OMG, from Australia, the UK, France, Italy, Germany, Norway, Israel,Malta, Canada and here in the USA. I only deal in original GRP4 Carello andAltissimo.

Are there anyother questions?  ;-)

Larry –

In the past eightyears or so I have sold roughly 75 pairs of taillights.

Who's next?  :-)