[DeTomaso] GR4 lenses

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 26 11:40:41 EDT 2013

As Mike says Euro lenses are readily available and Mr. Fiat is about the cheapest option at half the vendor pricing, but worth checking if the vendors are selling oem Carello/Altissimo or reproduction lenses. I'm sure Mr.. Fiat is reproduction and I know Larry Finch is not impressed with the quality of some of the GR4 reproduction lenses out there, I cannot attest to the Euro lenses. Varying quality reproduction GR4 lenses are available in a variety of styles and at one point someone was producing all red, all white lenses and smoked lenses in addition to the standard style.

The GR4 light units themselves are becoming harder to find (and hence not inexpensive) and to be honest I don't know how Larry Finch obtains/refurbishes his units and sells them for the price he does. Other than keeping idle hands occupied in retirement I can't see there is any money in it. Also be aware that both Altissimo and Carello produced this light, the Carello version has a less angular lens and is usually preferred aesthetically. I have a few of the GR4 lights awaiting refurbishing treatment (I guess I also know where to look ;) ) but not a priority with all the other projects I have stacked up, in fact it'll probably be a retirement activity for me too at this rate, I should probably just sell them to Larry.

At one point Hall was selling a kit to butcher the stock lights and convert to GR4 with various cutting and plastic gluing required, not sure if they still have that option, a bit of a bodge job IMO but there are plenty of stock light buckets out there.

Julian