[DeTomaso] Worst possible project ever

John Taphorn jtaphorn at kingwoodcable.com
Tue Jun 25 23:09:04 EDT 2013

Mike

It is difficult for me to see how the input shaft would be damaged.
Rather it is the output shaft that carries the pinion and is adjacent to
the crown wheel.  The crown wheel would probably smack the pinion with a
good hit to the driver's side of the car.  I would imagine a hit to the
passenger side would knock the crown wheel away from the pinion gear
against the iron side plate mated to the case.

The input shaft is the expensive piece with first gear machined into
it.  If the teeth have eroded, I suppose it is timely to make the
insurance claim.  To bend the shaft, I would imagine the nose of the
shaft in the pilot bearing/bushing and the ZF twisted off the block.

Actually, hard to imagine a harder hit to the frame adjacent the ZF than
Art Steven's car endured.  Even in that example with a ZF ear mount
sheared off, the ZF was not separated from the engine block.

Just the facts, Mam

JT