[DeTomaso] NPC: Racing is dangerous

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Jun 24 01:16:13 EDT 2013

In a message dated 6/23/13 21 29 47, pantdino at aol.com writes:

> To me he was no longer really in the corner and was accelerating pretty
> much in a straight line when the car suddenly jerked to the left.  Are there
> tiger strips there on which the car rotated or was it suspension failure?
>
> That's a very strange place to suddenly go off the course.
>

>>>It looked like a mechanical failure to me--perhaps a halfshaft failure,
which would result in full power being transmitted to only one wheel.  Note
that this is what can happen to a Pantera when a U-joint breaks.   They only
break under heavy load, i.e. full throttle.   The guy who restored my
Pantera discovered that his own car had been wrecked just this way.   A u-joint
had broken, driveshaft flailed around and beat up the inner wheelhouse, and
the car had spun off the road and crashed into something, hard, smashing up
the rear end. :<(

It's too bad the same thing didn't happen to the Aston Martin; if the car
had hit the wall backwards, the result probably would have been much better.
 Speeds aren't all that great there either--the cars are only in second
gear at that point.   Just shows that you don't need to be going a million
miles an hour for things to go very badlly, either on the street or the track.