[DeTomaso] NPC? Why do people black out license plate numbers in photos on Internet?

Andy May andymay24 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 04:31:56 EDT 2013

Folks in the UK often hide the plate, especially if the car is for sale,
because of the information that can be gained from it.

Typically, with only the plate number and a very small fee here one can
get; accident history; finance outstanding and milage at the last MoT
(inspection) sent to you by text in seconds. Some sellers obviously may
have reasons for you not being able to check this before you come and see
the car.

More sinister though; add the full VIN and the owners name and address and
you can get a duplicate V5 log book (pink slip).

I have no desire to hide my plate, but the VIN? Absolutely!!

Andy

On Jun 15, 2013 10:50 AM, "Charles McCall" <charlesmccall at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've heard "protect my privacy", and "protect against theft" but have
never
> understood the risk.
>

> I've happily posted zillions of pictures of my car with the license plate
> visible as I'm not sure what anyone could do with simply the license plate
> number.
>

> It isn't a country-specific thing, and they tend to do it all over. I
don't
> see how someone can steal my car because they know what the license plate
> number is. If I attend an event in a DeTomaso Pantera GT5-S, then I'm not
> really seeking to protect my privacy - I'd attend in something a shade
more
> discrete.
>

> I more or less follow Mike's philosophy - I think that my car, my VIN
> number, and even my license plate have been sufficiently well documented
in
> various public forums so that if it were stolen, I'm sure that someone
would
> raise the voice of alarm if it showed up for sale somewhere.
>

> If you ask people to erase your license plate number, why do you do it?
Just