[DeTomaso] NPC indeed, marine engine problem

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 16 11:32:04 EDT 2013

Mikael,
Marine engines with blowers are notorious for overheating exhaust valves as a marine engine is in 'boost' all the time. If you have a water cooled exhaust then the problem is worse as the slightest bit of water vapor and the valves are subjected to thermal shock. Boost should also be less than you'd use in an automotive application and when installing blowers you should at the same time change exhaust valves to hardened (Inconel) ones. They are going to be $800 an engine, but it's $800 now or $8,000 later.
I suspect your friend already has exhaust valve damage and valve heads that are now possibly tulip shape.
I dropped an exhaust valve last year that went through the piston and cracked the block. I'm just finishing re-installing the engine now and installed the Inconel valves and I'm still normally aspirated.
Julian