[DeTomaso] ....And this time I mean it.

Charles Engles cengles at cox.net
Sun Jun 16 11:17:23 EDT 2013

Dear Rob,

         A little less than twenty years ago, after about three high speed
runs to Vegas and coincidental windshield rock chips, I had to replace my
windshield.  I took it to a local glass shop with a good reputation.

         I watched as they put a short statured man in the cockpit wearing
soft tennis shoes.  He propped himself on the console and placed his soft
soled shoes on the windshield and expertly pushed it out in less than half a
minute.  I was concerned about the gasket, but it looked fine to me and the
glass experts said that it looked fine to them.

        Beneath the gasket in the lower corner on the passenger side was
some rust.  I took the car to my friendly paint and body guy.  He cleaned it
up and painted it.   I returned the car to the glass shop and they put the
windshield back using the original gasket.  Later, while driving the car in
heavy fog, there was an obvious leak in the windshield and it was quickly
fixed with a shot of silicone sealer. All has been well for almost twenty
years, even when caught in thunderstorms.

        Note that my gasket was about *twenty* years old when it was
re-used.  Note that it is common to find some rust under the gasket.  That
can be variable and subsequent rust repair and re-paint may be minor or
major, which could certainly lead to the whole car paint job.  I would
counsel that you find a good experienced shop* and tell them of the priority
to remove the old gasket as gently as possible because of the plan to re-use
it, if it is good.  Inspect for rust and proceed accordingly, then install
glass and new and/or old gaskets as necessary.  It might come out to less
than $800, not counting rust repair and re-paint.

         By the way, this reminds me that once the windshield was out and I
needed to transport the Pantera to and from the body shop, I didn't call a
roll-back.  I got my racing helmet and proceeded to drive the Pantera
without a windshield and with the race helmet.  It felt pretty racy and I
believe that it gave the other citizen motorists some pause.  I found out
later that it was ever so slightly illegal.  However, the infraction is well
past the statute of limitations.

        * " local shop with no Pantera Experience to install"-----Pantera
experience is a plus, but is quite rare.  The key thing is experience and
good communication with the boss about what you want done.  Also, the same
glass shop removed a broken rear glass and replaced it with the old gasket
after my mechanic had a mishap with a wrench.  So, it is possible and, IMHO,
probable that both gaskets can be re-used.

            Warmest regards, Chuck Engles