[DeTomaso] Speedo died today

Tom Shinrock tmshinro at aol.com
Sun Jun 16 10:33:57 EDT 2013

 This happened to me when I was a novice Pantera owner 26 years ago.   I was replacing my speedo cable and for reasons I cannot remember now I removed the retaining bolt of the angle gear in the ZF.   In face I think I did this a couple of times with no drama but then did it again and the gear dropped into the gearbox.  I turned white.  I grabbed my flexible magnetic retriever and started fishing.   As you would imagine everytime the magnet would grab the gear it was at right angles to the hole and wouldn't come out.   I kept at if for quite sometime all the while telling myself what an idiot I was when.....wah lah.... the magnet caught the top of the gear and it pulled right out.  I praised the Lord and quickly put the retaining bolt on and haven't touched it since.

Tom