[DeTomaso] Odd ebay listings

Boyd Casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 15 19:17:53 EDT 2013

I'll tell you the problem with that approach. This actually happened to us
at a car dealer I was general sales manager of.
Someone buys a wrecked car at an insurance salvage  auction for peanuts .
Then they go out and steal an Identical car. They pop the vin tags from the
windshield and door jambs of both cars and put the salvage car vin on the
stolen car. Then they sell the stolen car with the title from the salvage
car. This was before car fax . The State police and the auto theft squads
have known about this for years. Just about every car I know has hidden vin
#'s. the cops know where the hidden vin's are and would track down vin #'s
of salvage cars that reappear in DMV computers and then pay a surprise
visit to the new owner who winds up the loser. Some cars ( like Mercedes
Benz) have the vin stamped in the fire wall in huge letters/ numbers so it
's virtually impossible to scam. That's just one of the reasons many banks
won't finance a car with salvage history and many police departments or DMV
agency's require cars with salvage titles to be brought in for an
inspection before a new title or registration will be issued. And believe
me when I tell you you better have a bonafide receipt for every nut and
bolt that was needed to rebuild the car.
Boyd