[DeTomaso] NPC? Why do people black out license plate numbers in photos on Internet?

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Jun 15 13:13:57 EDT 2013

In a message dated 6/15/13 9 59 29, garth_rodericks at yahoo.com writes:

> Just a guess, but I believe the concern here is that if someone wanted to
> steal your car they could find your address (presumably the location of
> the car) from the license plate.
>

> In California you used to be able to walk into the DMV with a license
> plate number, fill out a form, state that this vehicle is blocking part
> of your  driveway and that you'd like to ask the owner to move it, wait a
> moment, then walk out with the registered owner's address.  Again, you
> used to be able to do this in California, but I believe they no longer
> give out addresses.
>
>>>We now live in an age of privacy (government snooping notwithstanding!).
  I don't think any DMV in the country will give out any information to
anybody anymore.   Just yesterday, I was unable to renew the registration on
Lori's Miata because it's registered in her name.   The DMV would take the
money, but would not issue the registration paperwork/sticker to anybody except
the licensed owner.

The funny thing is, what happens when she changes her name on her drivers
licence to Lori Drew (a DMV chore for next week).   Will they then refuse to
issue registration paperwork to HER because her cars are registered under
her maiden name?   She will probably have to switch them all over at the same
time.   Glad this topic made me think of that....