[DeTomaso] Pantera specifics for clutch and pressure plate?

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Jun 11 15:02:17 EDT 2013

In a message dated 6/11/13 5:55:38 AM, knottsj at galstar.com writes:

> What are the specific differences between the Mustang clutch and the
> Pantera clutch assembly
> for the 351C?

More to the point, what year is your Pantera? There are two 11" clutch
discs with slightly different spline sizes; early Pantera ZFs (and Mangustas)
used a 1-1/16" 10-spline disc while the later ones used a 1-1/8" 10-spline.
Possible your "mechanic" didn't know this and used a small-spline disc, which
will fit- sloppily- but rattle around in neutral on a larger spline 1-1/8"
ZF input shaft. There are some pressure plates that cross, I guess; all thats
needed is a 1600-1800 lb Long-style pressure plate with no centrifugal
bob-weights and the correct bolt pattern.

Another thing that sometimes causes clutch-rattles inside the bellhousing
is mis-application of the ZF throwout bearing anti-rattle spring. There is a
specific position for the complex mousetrap-type spring to hold the throwout
bearing against the clutch release lever fingers. I can't describe this in
print but it is illustrated in the archives in several places. Out comes the
ZF again to see which it is....Sorry- J Deryke