[DeTomaso] Pantera specifics for clutch and pressure plate?

Ken Green kenn_green at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 11 14:54:42 EDT 2013

The one thing you have to avoid is a pressure plate very similar to the stock pressure plate that has three small weights which move out as RPM increases.  They clear the inside of the bell housing in a static check, but can machine metal when you start the engine and rev it.

I think the wavy Marcel (sp?) spring was removed from the stock disk to make it thinner to help disengagement, I don't think it is necessary.  A long throw slave may make that totally unnecessary, but will increase the load on the clutch pedal.

Depending on torque, there are probably several good diagram pressure plates that will make you life easier in traffic, but for over 500 HP, some have been reported to slip.  The solution is a twin disk clutch if it fits, and I'm pretty sure some do, but I'd find someone running one who is happy with it, and copy them.

And, there is a kit that modifies the mechanical link between the clutch pedal and MC which shifts some of the effort to an easier to live with part of the pedal travel.  This may redundant with a diagram pressure plate.

Ken