[DeTomaso] NPC: 850 Fiat Spider driving impressions

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun Jun 9 01:59:36 EDT 2013

Sean, I once drove a FIAT 850 about 6 miles. A cute little Italian girl
where I worked bought a bright red one new in '70, and asked me to take her to
lunch driving her car, and tell her what I thought, as I was known as a car
nut. It was amazing- we took off on a 6 lane city street & I ran 1st gear to
the redline, then 2nd-to-redline, then 3rd.... and we were doing maybe 45
mph. 4th & 5th seemed to have near-zero acceleration. Loaded inner-city
delivery vans were passing us on both sides. It handled well and I told her so,
but I also said it really needed more power to commute or handle an
expressway safely.

A week later, a woman in a Pontiac station wagon ran completely over Debbie
and her FIAT at a boulevard stoplight. DOA at the hospital. Woman said she
didn't see my friend in her shiny little red roadster. Or the red light.

A FIAT 810 or the 'big' 850 is badly outclassed in today's traffic, as are
small motorcycles and most scooters. If your plans for the thing include
commuter or other heavy traffic use, be really, really defensive in your
driving. Or maybe add a large mirror and a 100 horse nitrous shot so you can at
least avoid the suicidal & the inattentive. The average motorist (I refuse to
call them "drivers") simply pays no attention to anything beyond their
dashboard anymore. FWIW- J DeRyke