[DeTomaso] D-Day

John Buckman jb841 at cox.net
Thu Jun 6 18:43:41 EDT 2013

There was a short segment this morning on our 6AM local (San Diego) news channel, which included some vintage film footage.

One of my hangar neighbors at the airport was in the D-Day Invasion.  About twenty years ago, he told us that the landing craft were stopped well short of the beach due to the enemy artillery fire, and that when he and the other soldiers went into the water, the water was well over their heads.  He went on to say that many men drowned because they couldn't get out of their 70+ pound packs.  He said that he barely got his pack off in time, and that he almost drowned.  He took three bullets that day.

John