[DeTomaso] My story

LS lashdeep at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 30 13:20:43 EDT 2013

David, awesome story.

It sounds similar to mine...bought my first car ever after graduating.

I too was torn between Ferrari and Detomaso.

I drove a few really bad, really slow and neglected examples of both (308 and Pantera) cars. They were soft and not exactly exciting.

I went back to doing more research and realized that I wanted an earlier, higher horsepower 308 GTB. These were much more powerful than later models. I ditched the cats for test pipes, switched to a Euro exhaust, advanced timing, etc. It felt like another 50 hp had been added above the 255.  It was beautiful, quick and sounded like an F1 car. After driving it for 3 yrs, I moved on.

During this same time, a friend bought a pre L Pantera. I was prepared to be disappointed like the other Panteras I had experienced, but his was sorted out like my 308 was. He had Wilkinson wheels, Wilwood brakes, and other basic tweaks that were done for track use.

I rode in his and was very impressed. I quickly realized that I needed to move a Detomaso up on my "Must Own" list.

I finally decided on a Pantera rather than a Mangusta, Vallelunga, or Longchamp GTS.

Between those early 308 and Pantera test drives, I realized that you can't judge a marque or a car based on a few examples. Enthusiast inspired performance enchancements and sorting is what makes a good car exceptional.

Also, why decide on just one car or marque? Own them all...together or one by one.

Viva Detomaso!

LS

central
wines-spirits   est 1934