[DeTomaso] New Here...

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Jul 30 02:36:23 EDT 2013

In a message dated 7/29/13 17 38 33, niserybumchuckely at gmail.com writes:

> I have read about the mythical status of the Australian cast 351C heads
> and I have been given a green light for a new motor but would prefer to get
> off as cheaply as possible on this fix so that I can spend the remaining
> funds on other upgrades.
>

>>>Perhaps a wise move.   When I had my Pantera restored, I had the engine
built fairly cheaply, concentrating on all the other systems first.   Years
later, when funds allowed, I had a monster motor built.

It sounds like you definitely have a problem.   JUST fixing the problem
should be fairly straightforward, assuming it's just a blown head gasket (we
hope!).   The problem comes from the fact that you have to tear the heads off
the engine to fix the gaskets, and once they are in your hands, it makes
sense to rebuild them.

Except it doesn't, because your car (presuming its stock) came with crappy
open-chamber heads that gave something pathetic like 8.2:1 compression, down
from the almost-as-pathetic 8.6:1 of the 1973 cars.

Aussie 2V heads are a good choice for a 351-inch motor (they actually came
from the 302-inch version of the Cleveland, found only in Australia; the
Aussie 351 used US-style big-port heads).   If you have visions of stroking
your engine later on, you would probably want a set of closed-chamber 4V heads.
  Of course, what you REALLY want is good aluminum heads....

...and on and on and on.   Given that Aussie heads are so good and so cheap
(there's a set on E-bay right now, ready to be rebuilt, for under $400), if
you want to just take baby steps right now, I'd opt for a set of those,
properly built with new one-piece stainless valves etc. and installed with a
new aluminum 2V intake and a good 650-700 cfm carb.   Even if you don't touch
the cam/lifters, the stock timing chain is probably junk so you might as
well take the opportunity to install a new, quality double-roller chain.   And
since the water pump will have to come off to do that, you might as well
pitch that and install a new, quality aluminum pump, i.e. Edelbrock or
Flowkooler.   Since you're busting into the cooling system, either reuse the
existing thermostat if you trust it, or make SURE your replacement is a proper 351C
unit and not a 351W unit.   (I happen to prefer the Robershaw/Flowkooler
180-degree thermostat, part number 333-180, available directly from
Flowkooler, or from Summit Racing).

When you're done, the car will likely be much faster and more responsive
and the total investment will be fairly minor.

Well, minor compared to having a complete new stroker engine built, which
is at least a $10-12K proposition....

Welcome aboard!   When do we get to see photos and the VIN of your car?