[DeTomaso] but that's another story

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Jul 29 18:34:50 EDT 2013

In a message dated 7/28/13 15 18 49, adin at frontier.net writes:

> Pantera, take it out and play with it!

PCNC did just that this weekend.   Michael and Roxanne Fertitta (Roxanne is
Jack and Judy DeRyke's daughter) brought their local Mini club over the
Sierras from Nevada and invited PCNC to join the fun.   We spent two days
driving the back roads of the Sierras, to include DIRT roads, and escaped the 95
degree heat by exploring cave formations where things were nice and cool.

Lori and I drove my Pantera 300+ miles without a hitch.   In fact NO
Panteras broke down (CHPIE members take note!) or even misbehaved slightly.

I found that my #2 radiator fan would cycle on and off with the conditions,
with temps staying rock steady in the 190 degree range.   On the drive
home, it was right at 180 on long uninterrupted runs.

No freeways the whole weekend--two-lane from door to door!   Now the car is
filthy, and happy!

Noted during a postflight inspection today that my secondary throttle
return spring snapped, which just demonstrates why it's such a good idea to have
a compression spring in the throttle cable.   Fortunately I had an extra
secondary spring and fixed it right away.

Took it for a celebratory drive in the hills behind my house today after
filling the tank (19.5 gallons for 305 miles, you can do the math but it works
out to about 16 mpg), where a squirrel zigged when he should have zagged
and I centerpunched him, or so it seemed.   There was a fiberglass-sounding
THWACK and I was afraid my spoiler had bit the dust, but when I got home,
there was no damage at all.   Must have just grazed him....