[DeTomaso] Kirby Racing the Saturn V

John Taphorn jtaphorn at kingwoodcable.com
Sat Jul 27 21:15:18 EDT 2013

What a terrific day.  Kevin Vincent, his son John and I left our homes
this morning at 7am to crew for Kirby at Mercedes Motorsport Ranch in
Angleton, Texas.  When we arrived at 8, Kirby was offloading the beast
from the trailer with the aid of Alex Engles, Chuck's brother, who lives
here in Houston.  Both Kevin and Alex are proud new Pantera owners.

Rain postponed activities a bit in the morning and the day was designed
to support a local charity.

The Saturn V is a 700hp dedicated track
pantera that has been refined over time by Gray and Dennis Quella; yet,
has seen precious little track time.  For the past two months, Kirby has
been giving the car the once over to ready it for some vintage racing.

Locally, Tom Upton, has been a dedicated vintage racer with his
Pantera.  He has finally recruited another to champion the Marque with
him.  It really is terrific. The camaraderie will make the experience
better for both of them. Hats of to Gray, whose busy vintage racing
schedule with multiple Chevrons(16 & 23) prevents him from an effort
with the Pantera, to allow Kirby to keep it exercised and exposed.

The Pantera is called Saturn V as it was the loudest car that I have
ever been on a racetrack with.  I couldn't even hear my car as it was
coming up from behind.  My car shook and shuttered as it would pass by.

Anyway, Kirby eventually got the opportunity to stretch its legs out on
the track.  He impressed the instructors after a few short laps and then
he was off soloing.  I have to give Kirby a lot of credit. It was so
friggen hot and there he was running the car in a fire-suit.  I was
exhausted just watching.  He really did well.

His son Dylan, also a Pantera owner closing up a restoration, and his girlfriend came by to help. Then, Gray and his fiance,
Heidi, arrived. Gray went for a few laps and showed the
Pantera's backside to all comers. Unfortunately, the car eventually
coasted to a halt.  We were thinking if the engine shed parts, thankfully
Gray was at the helm. Fortunately, Heidi diagnosed the problem before
anyone had an opportunity to even look at the car.  A 20 cent fuse.

Before we left, it was imperative to try out the tracks impressive go-cart rentals and dedicated race track.  It was a blast.  Could be a potential destination at
a future Fun Rally.

I don't know how the rest of the afternoon concluded after we left at
2pm.  Today is my anniversary and I had obligations at home that I am
delighted to attend to with the Mrs.

I suspect Kirby and Gray will both sleep well tonight.  They will be
exhausted - heat exhaustion.

Good times in TX

JT