[DeTomaso] 2014 Fun Rally Enclosed Car Shipping...UPDATE

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri Jul 26 21:31:49 EDT 2013

In a message dated 7/26/13 18 16 39, jtaphorn at kingwoodcable.com writes:

> Our hope was that centrally located we may draw some folks from the East
> as well.
>

>>>I have always been a huge fan of the notion of rotating the location of
the national convention on a periodic basis, perhaps even every year.   It's
a lot of work to put one of these on, and I suspect people would appreciate
the opportunity to take a bit of a rest afterwards.   Too, it both enables
us and forces us to see different regions, and allow different hosts to
share their hospitality.

At different times, several different Pantera vendors have approached me
with the idea of hosting the event in the Sonoma/Napa region.   It makes an
enormous amount of sense--close to a major air terminal, close to arguably the
best tourist city in the USA (which would serve as further incentive for
people to come who might not otherwise be inclined to come to a car
convention, i.e. Significant Others), lots to see and do in the region, and even a
racetrack where a track day could be held (and with numerous other
organizations around, it would be quite easy to leverage their strengths to increase our
numbers, as the Alfa club did just recently by having Hooked On Driving run
the Sears Point track day for their Sonoma national convention a few weeks
ago).

But I have never pursued the idea, mostly because the other venues we have
enjoyed, we have ENJOYED!   I suppose if there was enough interest, we might
be able to get people on board to do the mega-work to stage such an event
here, but my participation would necessarily be limited due to work
constraints.   As I'm not much of a "Hey, you guys oughta...." kinda guy, I've never
broached the subject with anybody else....

I do think a Texas event is long overdue though.   They have the critical
mass of enthusiasm, plus access to great venues and scenic drives and two
tracks.   I say go for it!