[DeTomaso] DB electric starter bites the dust

Boyd Casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 20:50:26 EDT 2013

Dave ,
 Allot of the positive press they got was from me. I bought my first
starter from them in 2008.. Every time someone on the list asked about
"those cheap Chinese starters from DB Electrical I didn't hesitate to jump
in and tell everyone how pleased i was with the product AND the customer
service. As far as your statement that I failed to prove the cause of my
case is untrue or at least partially untrue. Based on circumstantial
evidence I have succesfully proved it, although I have not yet had the most
recent failed starter examined. The first starter that failed prematurely (
not the first starter I purchased but the one I purchased in May 2013 )
failed as a result of a defective solenoid. My Mechanic dissembled it to
diagnose the problem and confirmed that the solenoid was defective. In that
case the solenoid first would not engage the drive gear, it would
intermittently engage after numerous attempts at turning the ignition key.
When the drive gear would not engage the starter motor would just spin (
this is not the same problem Mike discussed.) After a week of intermittent
failure to engage the drive gear finally engaged for good! It would not
disengage and the starter continued to spin with the engine running and the
key turned off. I had to quickly disconnect the battery to stop it. My
mechanic (who is a Pantera owner and has owned his 1972 since it was new,
owns and runs a custom auto fabrication shop so he is very familiar with
Panteras and is not some neighborhood grease monkey ( just in case you were
wondering ) I did not ask nor expect DB Electric to reimburse me for the
money I spent installing and replacing their defective starters. And I'm
sorry but when two people have four starters (of the same model) and  all
four fail within a few weeks of being installed that's whats known  as a
preponderance of the evidence which is the required standard of proof in a
civil matter. Beyond a reasonable doubt is the burden of proof in a
criminal case , so if I claimed that DB Electric had killed my Pantera I
would have failed too prove my case ,  but when four starters from the same
vendor all fail with similar symptoms in similar circumstances and in a
similar time frame I believe that qualifies as a sufficient preponderance
of evidence to prove my case .I haven't told anyone on the list to stop
buying anything from DB Electric.(Although I would no longer recommend them
as a source of quality parts at a reasonable price.) I have said that I
would not be making any more purchases from them. I said the money I saved
buying their cheap starters was lost by the four fold increased expense I
bore installing and removing them.The fact that I didn't install the
starters myself is immaterial to my argument. My time is worth more to me
then the labor rate I pay my mechanic, So if I had R&R the two starters
(soon to be three) I would be even more upset because my cost in lost time
would be greater then the actual money I paid to have the work done by my
mechanic. I was very satisfied with the starter I purchased five years ago
it is only the recent purchases who's quality has come into question. I
want to make sure that no one else purchases a starter from DB based on my
past recommendations, if they do their own research and still choose to
purchase from DB then the responsibility is their own. I don't care to
undertake the responsibility for giving  bad advice.  By the way when was
the last time you purchased a starter from them? Was it 5 years ago or 5
weeks ago? Had it occurred to you that perhaps their has been some change
in their manufacturing source or quality control, and your loyalty and
fondness for their products may not be based on the current facts but on
information that is several years old. Have you ever heard the disclaimer
that investment advisers are always making? "Past results are no guarantee
of future events".  You have the right to buy all the Chinese parts you
desire and I wish you all the luck in the world in what ever choice you
make.
P.S I had my ignition switch checked, I have a new fire wall voltage
regulator, a new fire wall solenoid and a new Optima red top battery. I
also have a Pantera electronics fuse box and headlight controller as well
as having my radiator fans on relays per the instructions in the
PanteraPlace web  sight so I don't think their is so electrical
gremlin causing
the starters to fail. All the starters have been wired per the accepted
technique for wiring PMGR starters with a Ford fire wall mounted solenoid.