[DeTomaso] A better way to attach firewall hatch?

Tom Shinrock tmshinro at aol.com
Mon Jul 22 13:20:13 EDT 2013

 When I got 5186 26 years ago I replaced the bolts/nuts that fasten the firewall cover.   I can't remember why I did it but there must have been some issues with the hardware that was originally there.  I went to the hardware store and bought some square nuts and some matching bolts.  I used a screw driver to open up the metal "cages" that held in the nuts in the firewall and inserted the new square nuts and reformed the metal to close the "cages".  The square nuts fit pretty good in the cages and floated enough so that you could line the nuts up with the holes in the hatch cover.  I usually can get the nuts aligned by just moving the bolt around by hand but sometimes I have to use a phillips screwdrive to align the nut with the hole.  The only issue I had is that the 1/2 inch bolt head got a little too close to the turned up lip of the edge of the hatch cover and made for a tight fit when I put a socket on the bolt.   I just bent the lip out next to the hole with some pliers to give more room between the bolt head and the lip to let me get my socket on.   Not an elegant solution but pretty simple.

Tom