[DeTomaso] DB electric starter bites the dust

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Jul 22 03:13:09 EDT 2013

In a message dated 7/21/13 5:25:42 PM, boyd411 at gmail.com writes:

> Does anyone know of a problem that can be wiping out solenoids

A solenoid is a simple electromechanical device. Not much can go wrong with
it, with so few parts. As I mentioned a few weeks ago, some foreign made
solenoids have the main contacts in back insulated with a thermoplastic block.
Your high compression engine may pull 300 AMPS of current momentarily,
which creates a LOT of heat. Eventually, the thermoplastic softens enough for
the contacts to sink into them, so they no longer make contact
OEM starters use a thermoset material to insulate & mount solenoid
contacts. Thermosets do not melt in high heat- they char. I've 'fixed' a couple of
cheap foreign starters by using salvaged solenoid contact plates in
nearly-new solenoid bodies. Pull the solenoid apart and see if there's any evidence
the contacts have sunk into the plastic insulator so they no longer touch.
Buying another of what already failed, and expecting it to behave differently
is one definition of insanity. Good luck- J Deryke