[DeTomaso] Door Latch Rubbers and trunk security

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Jul 17 13:35:50 EDT 2013

In a message dated 7/17/13 8 28 51, steve at snclocks.com writes:

> Good morning oh Pantera-knowledgeable folks.  As I fix little things on
> 5332
> I will need to figure out the best source of parts for various items.  The
> first one is the gasket around the external door latches.  Do the vendors
> carry such items?
>
>>>I don't think those are available anywhere?
>
> >Are there vendors that are best for things like OEM rubber parts and
> other
> vendors better for other supplies?

from cheap Pantera owners unwilling to pay top dollar for genuine stuff, and
will offer cheap hot-rod alternatives to the genuine rubber.   Many will
carry both and offer the customer the choice.   Genuine rubber is expensive and
is made in Italy.   If it's important to you, ask that specific question
before committing to buy.

> >And, a second question.  Is there a kit for converting the trunk latch
> either an internal release or a keyed lock?
>
>>>Uh...the stock trunk latch has a lock which is keyed to match the doors.
>
> >Am currently converting the door locks to match the replacement
> ignition/key
>
>>>Won't ever happen.   Panteras have two keys--a large ignition key and a
small door/trunk key.   You can try until doomsday and you won't get an
ignition key to work a door/trunk lock.

The ignition key is European Ford (Capri etc.) and the door/trunk key is
Fiat.   I just went through this rekeying exercise on another Pantera.   I had
a key that opened one door but not the other, and an extra tumbler.   Turns
out that there is an undocumented change, and there are two different
styles of tumbler and two different styles of key blank.   One key would go into
one and another key would go into another.   I had to go home and get a
third blank from my parts stash to get three that were of the same type, and
then the locksmith was able to key all three to the same key and make several
copies for me.

> >and trying to understand the reason for the windows slowing down about
> 3/4
> of the way up - it looks like this is a point where the glass goes through
> very tight fit between the front and rear channels - like the designers
> meant for the glass to be precisely aligned so it could then fit into the
> back channel.  Comments?
>
>>>Adjusting the windows is a black art.   When all the internal components
are aligned correctly, they go up and down smoothly.   But enough people
have horsed around inside their doors that it's common for that alignment to
get goofed up, and then owners just get fed up and accept it.   I suspect
that is what you are experiencing.

It will take a concerted effort to take your door apart and loosen
everything and get it aligned properly, but it can be done....

Cheers!