[DeTomaso] upgrading to high output alternator

Boyd Casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 17 11:20:43 EDT 2013

 Since I put in my new upgraded ac setup ( Sandeen 7  cylinder compressor,
Dual high capacity fans on condenser, Parallel flow condenser) and HID
 lights ( 4 Hella projectors with HID elements) I have been having a
problem with maintaining an adequate charge. I have a new PMGR starter , a
new fire wall solenoid, and a voltage regulator and a brand new Optima Red
Top Battery ( all from DB Electrical except for the battery). I start with
a fully charged battery and with no electrical load (everything electrical
is turned off except the engine). I take a multi meter and put it across
the battery poles and the meter is showing around 13 volts. When I rev the
motor the voltage gauge shows movement indicating increased voltage output
as the engine revs higher. ( It has occurred to me that the voltage is
still below normal and my problem may be a loose alternator fan belt.) When
I put an electrical load on ( AC, Lights, fans) the voltage drops down to
12 volts and steadily moves lower. This indicates to me that the voltage is
being supplied by the battery. I know many people have upgraded their
alternators but I have also heard from people who's opinions I respect that
the Pantera wiring harness is not equipped to handle to much amperage. I
would like to know  the opinions of those with expertise in electrical
systems and if I were to upgrade my alternator how many amperes the
Panterawiring can safely handle.. I should note that I have upgraded
Pantera  electronics headlight controller, the P.E. fuse box , and the fan
wiring upgrade shown in the Pantera Place web sight. IAs always I thank
those who contribute opinions and advice and I am especially thankful to
those who give the correct answers LOL!
Thanks always to the brother hood.
Boyd