[DeTomaso] Pantera 4 Sale: 4171

The DeTomaso Registry Guy detomasoregistry at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 13:08:20 EDT 2013

Mike,

I think the yellow Pantera at Universal in New York is different from
the one I inspected in St. Louis.  The one in New York is listed with
a VIN of THPNMC03571.  The one I inspected was S/N 874 03171 with a
50202 body service tag (03171 block stamp and the ZF was stamped
5215).

Dan Jones

Dan,

The VIN tag you reference (marked 874 03171) is the block number plate, not
the VIN.

By searching the BSN list:
http://www.detomasoregistry.org/Members/Registry/SearchBSN.asp

for 50202 we find:

http://www.provamo.com/Members/Registry/RegistryImages/RTHPNMD04171/RTHPNMD0
4171.asp

Which is the car in St. Louis at Daniel Schmitt you checked I believe.

Which brings up a good point to mention...
People often incorrectly refer to this (Block number) VIN plate as the
vehicle identification number in their advert.  I think they get confused
because it starts with 874... which is the Platform ID for the Pantera, not
the serialized VIN.  Also it is easier to find/read in the engine bay area,
when the actual VIN stamped into the foot box VIN is carpeted over.

While it is common for a car's block number to be "around" 1,000 off from
the actual VIN, this car has a block number, EXACTLY 1,000 different from
it's VIN.  There are only a couple of cars I remember being this way.

Additionally, there is a Pantera that has the foot box VIN plate
(aftermarket plate) stamped to show the motor number exactly the same as the
last 4 digits of the VIN, which NEVER happened. (Well not so far anyway...)

Chuck