[DeTomaso] Getting Attention

John Taphorn jtaphorn at kingwoodcable.com
Mon Jul 15 23:39:44 EDT 2013

I suppose that after owning a Pantera for a few decades you become
somewhat desensitized to the attention that they draw.  However,
recently some friends of mine have acquired Panteras and they are
intrigued by the attention the car draws.  They consider it a positive
aspect of ownership.  I never thought much of it one way or another
after all this time, just the way it is.

A few of us in Houston had quite an adventure last weekend when on very
short notice of a potentially rust free car surfacing in Arkansas, we
connected a trailer, hoped in a truck and drove 8 hours one way to check
it out.  The next morning we were returning to Space City with another
Pantera and a new Space City Chapter member.  Yeah, we're pretty serious
about Panteras around these parts.  And, the cars seem happy too.

Among the more intriguing aspects of the return journey was the
unrelenting attention the car drew.  I doubt few experiences could have
reinforced the new owner's decision to buy it than people swarming over
when we stopped for gas, lunch and donuts.  "Wow, this is beautiful?",
or "I promised myself I'd own a Pantera before I die" comments were the
staple.  Of course we got the "Is it a kit car?" question as well.

We needed to grab the car immediately as there is Space City tech
session at Gray's Ranch this weekend, and we all know that those
experiences are legendary.  It is an opportunity for the Panteras to
meet the other Panteras in a caring environment. Anyway, Kevin, our new
owner/member brought the car by my home this eve for a once over before
the 90 mile drive to the Ranch this Saturday morning.  All checked out
beautifully on the car.  Just a few electrical gremlins.

After Kevin and his son left and it was getting dark, three teenage boys
came knockin' at my front door.  They explained that they lived a block
down from my house and were wondering what all these cool cars were
always coming and going from my house.  I explained that the yellow one
that just left was a Pantera.  "Nice" they said, "But, what about the
red one - that one is real cool, is that a Lambo?"

"No, I commented, " that is also a Pantera"  That would be Rob Pink's
(stewart on the list) '72 that sounds like thunder I thought to myself.

Eager to get back to my dinner I began to shut the door and they asked,
" What is a Pantera and is that what your yellow car is?"  Of course as
a one time ambassador for the marque, I understood my responsibility and
offered to meet them back at my garage for the tour. Dinner would have
to wait. Unfortunately for them, my GT5 went to the painter Saturday
morning after a year of priming and blocking so the "L" would have to
suffice as the sole educational tool this evening.

Perhaps, we have three new Pantera's buyers in the future.  They all
seemed to be drooling when they left.

I have had plenty of folks stop by and wander up my driveway to see
activities in the mini monster garage.  However, knocking on the front
door after sunset - that was a first.

With five very nice Panteras within 3 miles of my house, they will have
more opportunities than most to see them.  They're right, our
neighborhood is pretty cool!

JT