[DeTomaso] Starter problem resolved

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun Jul 14 20:19:25 EDT 2013

In a message dated 7/13/13 9:21:11 PM, boyd411 at gmail.com writes:

> To those who are interested in the starter problem I was having with my
> new
> D.B. Electrical  P.M.G.R. Starter, I am happy to report that the problem
> was a defective solenoid ( on the starter) . The drive gear would
> intermittently not engage and then finally it would not disengage.

FWIW, on some far-east starters, the solenoid connection is insulated with
some sort of thermoplastic block, while OEM solenoids used more expensive
thermoset plastic. Under 300+ amps of starter current, the contacts get hot,
softening a thermoplastic insulator. Thermosets char rather than softening &
melting.   Eventually, the softening plus the solid impact against the
contacts from actuating a solenoid causes the contacts to sink down into the
plastic enough that intermittent contact results. I once permanently fixed a
defective 'high-torque' starter by scavenging the old insulator from a junked
starter to replace a nearly-new solenoid's part. High compression engines
only make the problem worse on starters with thermoplastic insulators. FWIW- J
Deryke