[DeTomaso] Carb problem

Charles Engles cengles at cox.net
Sun Jul 14 11:56:48 EDT 2013

Dear Boyd,

          Ah, a recommendation.   You could live with it.  You could fix it
per Mike Drew.   You could get the supertrick Quick Fuel carb specifically
built for your engine per Michael Short.  I have one option between those
two.

         You could visit www.chucknuytten.com and consider sending your
misbehaving carb to him for a custom rebuild to your specs and desires.
IIRC he offers basic, medium and racing mods.  I got tired of being
disappointed by new Holley carbs in years gone by and finally decided to
have him build one for me.  He asks numerous questions about the vehicle,
the engine specifics, drivetrain and your performance priorities.  Both
carbs he built for me were only one carb jet away from optimum on dyno stand
testing with the fresh engine.  Subsequently, the carbs have performed well
and return fuel mileage in the 17-20 mpg range. Turnaround time should be
less than 30 days, IIRC.

         The one problem that I would see with a QFS carb or a CN rebuild is
that optimal results would require your cam specs, which are sadly unknown
to you.

                       Warmest regards,  Chuck Engles