[DeTomaso] Camber?

John Taphorn jtaphorn at kingwoodcable.com
Sat Jul 13 08:25:51 EDT 2013

There are many variables to consider.  The larger camber numbers were
for larger sidewall tires that will roll more under cornering. The
wider, 335/235, tires fitting your car, especially the rears, will roll
a lot less with shorter and stiffer sidewalls.  Thus, less camber is
required to maintain the tire's contact patch on the road in a corner.

Candidly, unless you are an experienced performance driver and driving
9/10th or more on a track, I doubt you will recognize the difference
that minor changes in camber will make.

Another variable that I consider on street cars is tire wear and the
high cost of the large rear tires.  Mild camber changes will accellerate
wear to the inside of the tire (assuming neg camber). Thus, I mount the
rears with zero camber and would recommend that setting.  I would try
-.5 to  -1 on the fronts.

While you are there, 1/8" to 1/4" toe in in rear.  More rear toe
promotes understeer, yet, reduces tail happiness. I run 1/32" toe out in
the front to reduce understeer.

Good luck

JT