[DeTomaso] Shifter alignment question.

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu Jul 11 02:42:44 EDT 2013

In a message dated 7/10/13 19 21 52, wjbitner at yahoo.com writes:

> Asked another way, how would
> I move the shifter's position about 1/8" to the left or right?
>

>>>The splines are NOT the way to do it.

There is an adjustable turnbuckle setup just forward of the trunnion
bearing.   This is used to both adjust overall length of the system, and also
side-to-side positioning of the shift lever.

There are two big nuts on this beast.   One of them has tiny notches in
it--this one is reverse thread!   Righty loosey, lefty tighty.

If you want to adjust the length of the system, so that the shift lever is
in the proper fore-aft position, loosen both nuts.   Then turn the bit in
the center (between the nuts).   One way will move the lever forward, the
other way will bring it back.

If you just want to adjust side-to-side position, loosen ONE nut.   You can
then move the shift lever side-to-side without moving anything downstream
of the loose nut.

As a technique, once the fore-aft position is right, you can shift the car
into 3rd gear.   Use bits of cardboard (or whatever) to shim the lever so
that it is perfectly centered, then tighten the nut.   Note that there is a
bit of tortional flex in the system when you tighten the nut, so that you may
find the lever is not exactly centered when you're done.   Trial and error
will help out here.   Sometimes I've had to jam the lever hard against one
side of the 3rd gear gate, tighten the nut, and then when I was done, the
lever was perfectly centered.

You should be able to get all gears easily, and not drag the lever against
the gate in the 1-2 shift.

Aftermarket gates (the thick aluminum ones) are often improperly machined.
 They have exactly the same lateral dimensions as the stock gate, but the
vendor forgot to account for the fact that the gate is taller, so it impacts
the shift lever higher up, and prevents the same amount of side-to-side
movement.   Often you can get 1-5 gears but can't get reverse, and the only
solution is to use a file and file the left side of the reverse opening in the
gate.   But you should not have to do that with a factory gate.

Good luck!